Thursday, June 7, 2012

Salty Eyes

It's 6:30 in the morning, and i'm waking up earlier and earlier each day. The first thing I thought of this morning (other than why am I up at 6:30) was, why do we cry when we're sad/happy/whatever? So of course I googled it.
According to WebMD:

  • On an emotional standpoint it means you need to address something because you have a build up of emotions. 

According to Wikipedia:

  • Tears produced during emotional crying contain more hormones than regular tears.
  • There are only theories on why people cry at a scientific standpoint. 
  • For example: William H. Frey of University of Minnesota believes that people feel better after crying because it releases a build up of hormones.
  • Based on a study of over 300 adults, men cry an average of once a month and women cry at least five.
  • There are three types of tears: Basal, Lacrimal and Reflexive. Basal tears are simply made to keep the eye lubricated and are produced at a rate of 1 to 2 microliters a minute. Reflexive tears are made in response to something irritating the eye. Psych tears are due to an emotional state. 
Didn't really answer my question properly, but it was interesting nonetheless... To me anyway.

Bet you loved reading that ;)

Also, I hope I can actually start sleeping like a normal person soon... I don't know why I address it as if it's a talent, but if it were considered a super power, I'd wish for that one first. Then I'd wish I could pause time.

No comments:

Post a Comment